16.2.12

Bedroom Re-Do: Bold Stripes with ScotchBlue Painter’s Tape

I was ecstatic when a rep from 3M asked me if I'd like to do a DIY on my blog using ScotchBlue Painter’s Tape with Edge-Lock Paint Line Protector. As it just so happened, I had a vision for my bedroom that included bold stripes so painter's tape was right up my alley.

The tape is supposed to work on a variety of surfaces, is easily removed without leaving residue, and most importantly features Edge-Lock Paint Line Protector for super sharp paint lines. I still wasn't sure how this tape could be any different/better than other brands of painter's tape, until I watched the video that explains how the Edge-Lock works. Pretty awesome!

ScotchBlue
Painter’s Tape with Edge-Lock Paint Line Protector

For my first project, I wanted to start small, so I painted a plain white lampshade that needed some character.

ScotchBlue
Painter’s Tape with Edge-Lock Paint Line Protector

I started by measuring the lampshade and decided how wide I wanted my stripes to be. With a pencil, I marked where each stripe should go.

ScotchBlue
Painter’s Tape with Edge-Lock Paint Line Protector

I marked all the way around the lampshade, every 2 inches to make sure my stripes would be even. Because the circumference of my lampshade was so small, I couldn't wrap the tape around evenly in one piece. Instead, I used smaller pieces, making sure they matched up with the marked lines.


ScotchBlue
Painter’s Tape with Edge-Lock Paint Line Protector

After taping off the first stripe, I began painting. A sponge brush worked great for this.

ScotchBlue
Painter’s Tape with Edge-Lock Paint Line Protector

You can remove the tape as soon as you are finished painting but if you are prone to accidents, wait until the paint dries (I am prone to accidents but I'm also impatient). Look – no tape residue on my fabric lampshade. Sweet!

Continue taping off the colored stripes and paint one at a time. Wait for one stripe to dry before moving on to the next.

While I was waiting for my lampshade to dry, I worked on my curtain. There are actually supposed to be 2 curtains, but I didn't finish the second one in time for this post.

ScotchBlue
Painter’s Tape with Edge-Lock Paint Line Protector

I spread my curtain out over my craft table but you can also spread it out on the floor. Don't forget to put some plastic underneath because the paint WILL seep through.

I started by figuring out how wide I wanted my stripes to be (based on the total length of the curtain) and started measuring. I marked both sides of the curtain so that I could create a straight line using tape. *Remember, the edge of your tape always lines up with the colored stripe, so your white stripes will actually appear smaller once your tape is in place.

ScotchBlue
Painter’s Tape with Edge-Lock Paint Line Protector

I used a spongy paint roller and started rolling on paint for every other stripe (leaving a white stripe in between each one). If you are working in a small space, you may just want to paint a couple stripes at a time, letting them dry in between.

ScotchBlue
Painter’s Tape with Edge-Lock Paint Line Protector

After your stripe is finished, you can pull the tape away (again, if prone to accidents, wait until your stripes are dry before you do this). I couldn't wait, and I was excited to see such a nice clean line. YAY!

Continue painting until all of your stripes are filled in. After your curtain is completely dry, it is ready to hang.

I couldn't be more happy with the results! I am loving my new bold stripes.

Bedroom Re-Do: Bold Stripes with ScotchBlue Painter’s Tape

Bedroom Re-Do: Bold Stripes with ScotchBlue Painter’s Tape

But that's not all, I also painted stripes on one wall in my bedroom. Although the ScotchBlue Painter’s Tape works great alone, my walls are pretty textured, so I used this technique. The ScotchBlue website also has some helpful hints for painting stripes on walls.

Bedroom Re-Do: Bold Stripes with ScotchBlue Painter’s Tape

I love it! I still have a few small projects to finish but I promise to show a full 360 degree view when I'm done.

Stripe envy? Right now, if you buy your ScotchBlue Painter’s Tape with Edge-Lock Paint Line Protector at participating Home Depot stores, you can get a special Buy 2 Get 1 Free by Mail offer. Check out Learn more and claim the offer www.scotchblue.com for more information.

ScotchBlue
Painter’s Tape with Edge-Lock Paint Line Protector

This post was brought to you in partnership with 3M and ScotchBlue Painter's Tape. I was compensated by the advertiser to write this post, but my thoughts, opinions and words are my own.

Learn more and claim the offer here.



3 comments:

lauren said...

Very cute stuff, indeed!! Love it!

Geek+Nerd said...

GAH! Those projects are awesome and your bedroom looks FIERCE!!!

Phillip Menendez said...

I love the zig-zag designs and the stripes. A very easy way to paint stripes on your walls; while using the 3M Delicate tape is by using this new painting tool called the "U-Stripe It & Design Tool. It allows you to have accurate stripes everytime without having to have pencil marks or any other tools. You can do all of Amy's ideas easily now without any hassles. Great job Amy, I love the colors you used.

Post a Comment

Let's get this party started!