11.7.11

What I'm reading

One of my goals for the year is to read more books. I get so wrapped up in reading blogs and being busy that I often forget how nice it is to curl up with a good book. Here is what I've been reading lately:

Water for ElephantsI decided to read Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen after seeing the movie in theaters. The story is about a young man, Jacob, who is left orphaned after his parents are involved in a tragic accident. He drops out of veterinary school and with no where else to go he joins a traveling circus. It is while traveling with the circus that Jacob learns about hard work, the cruelties of life, true friends, and true love.

Maybe I had certain expectations after viewing the movie, but I liked the movie better than the book. Every change that was made in the movie was made for good reason. For one, the R-rated parts of the book were more cleverly handled in the movie - they were portrayed in a more suggestive and humorous way that I found to be more entertaining.

The one advantage that the book had over the movie was that a greater portion of the book was dedicated to the main character, Jacob, as an old man. I felt the biggest contribution of the book was that it gave insight into the world of the elderly - often a world that the rest of us don't see or think about.

Did I mention how much I loved the movie? Robert Pattinson did such a terrific job playing a young man (Jacob) during the Depression Era that I almost forgot that he ever played Edward in Twilight. Reese Witherspoon was also wonderful. Her hair styles and costumes were one of the best parts of the movie. The movie should be coming out on DVD sometime this Fall.
Water for Elephants



Water for ElephantsIf you only have time to read one book this Summer, than you'd better wait for Water for Elephants to come out on DVD because The Help by Kathryn Stockett is an absolute must-read. It's a fast read too because you won't want to put it down.

The Help is the story of what it was like to be a black maid in Mississippi in the 60s - to care deeply for the white children they single-handedly raised, to keep secrets, and to deal with daily discrimination. You will experience a wide range of emotions for the characters in this book, and don't be surprised if they have you laughing out loud.

This one is also a book turned movie - the movie comes out in theaters August 10th.

4 comments:

Kay said...

I read both these books and loved them both. Have you read "Loving Frank"? It is a wonderful story about Frank Lloyd Wright the architect.

I belong to a book club and both the books you mentioned were on our list. Haven't seen the movie yet.... hopefully, I'll pick up the DVD

amy is the party said...

Thanks for the suggestion. I will add it to my list!

PomJob said...

Loved both these books. Liked the WFE movie but enjoyed the book more - could be the order in which I read/watched. Can't wait for The Help movie - love Emma Stone!

Faye Marie said...

Loved this book... I listened to it on my drive to work every day. Can't wait for the movie!!!!!

Post a Comment

Let's get this party started!