16.5.10

life changes

I don't talk about the serious and sad stuff here much. I want my blog to be a happy place for my readers AND for myself. Your sweet comments and support have meant so much to me and have given me the courage and strength to keep chugging along.

I can honestly say that my thirtieth year was the hardest year of my entire life. A little over a year ago, I was laid off from a job I had worked at for almost 5 years. Then, about a year ago we had to put my beloved Rags dog to rest. I always had a strong connection with Rags and it broke my heart. At the same time, my Grams' health was failing after an 11-year battle with lung cancer. Despite how scary it was to be laid off from work, I am SO thankful that I was because it meant I got to spend a lot of time with my Grams during her final months on this Earth. Last July, my childhood cat, $37.50 passed away from old age. My Grams followed two days later.

my Grams at Renegade SF, July 2009

kitty_bw

I knew that my Grams would want me to celebrate her life, not mourn her passing. I knew that she would want me to keep chugging along. Not sure what to do next, I put energy into my blog and waited for a sign. And waited. And waited.

Come January, I began to work on some things in my life that needed changing. I started eating healthy and began going to the gym regularly. I made a list of resolutions for the new year. I completed some of them and some I am still working on, but I'm happy with my progress. I was still unsure about what to do career-wise. Of course, I love the idea of making a living selling my crafts but it doesn't seem realistic at this point in my life plus I kind of like running my business as a hobby...no pressure, you know? I always want my business to be something that is fun and enjoyable to me. So what to do about a job???? It was clear that the "sign" I'd been waiting for wasn't coming but I didn't know what else to do. So I kept plugging along...

until last week.

Two Sundays ago, I had a dream. I was walking down my grandma's street, only my past two employers were there. I walked past them and continued down the street to my grandma's house. I looked down to see myself wearing a suit. The kind of suit I might wear to an interview. When I got to my grandma's house, I bent down, opened my arms, and called out "Rags!" and my Rags ran into my arms just like she used to. I wrapped my arms around her and suddenly everything was okay. When I woke up from the dream, I closed my eyes and held on to that feeling. Little did I know, that dream was my sign.

IM000262

On Monday (day after the dream), I got a voice mail about a job. I almost thought it was a scam (it wasn't a job I had applied for) but something told me to call anyway. On Tuesday, I had an interview THREE MINUTES from my grandma's old house. The job was legit, the interview went great, and I had a feeling that I belonged.

Last week was my first week at my brand new job.

14 comments:

Melissa Haworth said...

Wow, what an amazing story of ups and downs. So glad for your happy ending with your new job--I can't wait to hear more about it.

taylah_ said...

congratulations! I hope this works out great for you, good luck!
xx

Sonia said...

wow. Your post choked me up. I too lost my grandmother this past year, and a beloved pet. I get pretty emotional about both quite a bit. ((hugs)) good luck on the new job!

Carol Anne said...

Wow! This is a great story! Congratulations on your new job and how cool was it that you dreamt about it before! Good luck!

Carrie Rosalind said...

Wow! That is so awesome! Congrats on the new job. Glad to hear things are looking up!

JaymiPop said...

Yay, Amy! Sooo happy and excited for you <3

Stephanie said...

Hey! Thanks for sharing about this! It's amazing how things work right? Hope you'll enjoy your new job and appreciate everything in life. :)

Junk and Shiny Stuff said...

Hooray!!!! Congratulations Amy! I hope this new job is the best ever!!

Kristen said...

I am SO SO SO happy for you. All the hard times over the past year, make this bright spot a little brighter, yes?

Congratulations, I hope you're doing something you love!

{hug} Kristen
@KristenUH
http://www.unrulyartclass.com

Alli (One Pearl Button) said...

Oh my gosh, Amy, what an amazing story!! Congratulations on your new job, and thank you for sharing. Sometimes it's too easy to forget that downs always find their way back up. :) Good luck with the job!

Geek+Nerd said...

Congratulations on your new job! This is wonderful news. I hope this is just the first sign of things looking up for you :)

I BLEED PINK said...

What an amazing story!!! Congrats on things falling into place!

Kite Tails said...

Wow...That's amazing...I'm not even sure what to say other than I'm deeply moved, this brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing.

lauren said...

So happy for you and your new job! It's been a crazy journey for you--but no one deserves success and happiness more. xo.

Post a Comment

Let's get this party started!