24.4.10

Stitch School: Lesson 3

I finally got around to Lesson 3! Please excuse the dorkiness factor of my videos. They are my very first, plus, well, I am a dork so it comes with the territory!

lesson 3

Stitch School: Lesson 1
Stitch School: Lesson 2

After the last 2 lessons, you should have your pattern transferred to your fabric and your fabric should be secured in your embroidery hoop. Now we're ready to start stitchin'!

Begin by threading the needle with an arm's length of embroidery floss. You may choose to separate the strands of floss so you you can stitch with fewer than 6 stands. For instructions on how to do this, view the first video (below) or check out this link. You can knot the end of the floss but it's just as easy to stitch without knots at the back of your work. For more info on how to do this, view the first and last videos or visit this link, this link, or this link.

* Remember, a lot of these techniques can be done in different ways. That's why I am including lots of links — to help you find the right way for YOU!

lesson 3 stitch diagram

* LEFTIES, halt! If you are left-handed, you might find my diagrams confusing. Sublime Stitching has some wonderful diagrams for lefties. While you are at it, check out their right-handed diagrams as well!

back stitch



Also check out the back stitch on the Early Bird Special blog.

running stitch



split stitch



Also check out the split stitch on the Early Bird Special blog.

satin stitch



Also check out the satin stitch on the Stitch School blog.

French knot



Also check out French knots on the Stitch School blog.

cross stitch
For how-to instructions, visit this link and this link. Submersive Cross Stitch is a great resource and if you are looking to do more cross-stitching, there are some great patterns for sale on Etsy.

stem stitch
I don't use this one very much so I'm going to send you straight to the expert! Check out the stem stitch on the Early Bird Special blog.

finishing off



While working on these tutorials, I was pointed to an excellent resource — the Stitch School blog! This Stitch School is run by Janet McCaffrey of Primrose Design. For alternate diagrams of these stitches (and for more advanced stitches), check out the Stitch School blog!

Stay tuned for the 4th and final lesson. I've got lots of great ideas and resources coming up!

6 comments:

Out of Order said...

adorable tutorial! Next payday I'm going to stock up on some threads and a hoop!

Sal said...

Thanks for this! I have been meaning to start cross-stitching and this will definitely help! xo

Early Bird Special said...

Oh, Amy I really like your videos! I think I sound like a total dork on my videos too. But I AM a dork, so like you said, it goes with the territory. *SNORT* :B

Thank you for the link love. Now that you've got your videos up, and we do different methods, I'll be sure to post links to your videos too.

Oh, and I've never heard of the Stitch School blog. I love it! You're the coolest. :)

Hugs & Stitches,
Amy

CraftCrave said...

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [25 Apr 02:00pm GMT]. Thanks, Maria

Consider my dear said...

I just never can pull off a knot stitch. Maybe this will help. I hope.

B. said...

So nice!

Post a Comment

Let's get this party started!