18.2.10

Q and A: Part 1

Thanks, everyone, for the terrific questions and sweet birthday wishes a couple of weeks ago! I received WAY more questions than I bargained for. Because there are so many, I decided to post my Q&A in batches. Sorry it took me so long to get to these!

Q. when and how you decided to open this blog??
Good question! My very first post was in October of 2005, after my very first craft show. At that time, I noticed other crafters online had blogs and I liked the idea of documenting my crafty endeavors. It took me a few months before I started blogging semi-regularly and now I try to blog several time per week if not every day.

Q. how do you organize your supplies? what is your favorite organization technique?
I love to use wire baskets for things like yarn and fabric. I like to keep my supplies visible if possible (in wire baskets, clear jars, stacked on my bookshelf). I find it inspiring — plus I tend to forget what supplies I own if they aren't visible. I collect milk glass so I keep lots of little supplies in my various milk glass containers and bowls.

craft studio

100_1419

yarn!

Q. I was curious as to how long you've been crafting and what inspires you? Has your taste changed from when you first started? Did you have to try different things before you knew what was right for you?

I've been crafting as long as I can remember. I remember making handmade Christmas presents with my mom and grandma at a young age. When I was a teenager, a rubber stamp store opened in the mall and I would always save my birthday money to spend it there. Probably not what the typical teenager spends her money on, right?

My taste has definitely changed! I think some of the same basic themes are there - I have always liked making things that were fashionable and I've always loved pink.

I have tried lots of different crafts to find which ones were right for me &mdash and I'm still figuring that out!

My first craft show in 2005:
My first Show 3

Renegade in 2009:
100_0855


Q. how is style school going?


Style School
is AMAZING! Elsie and Leigh-Ann are incredibly talented. If you have the opportunity to take one of Elsie's classes, I highly recommend it.

I feel like the classes have really helped me grow as far as which kinds of crafts I might want to make in bulk (to sell) and the classes have really helped me develop my own personal style. I find this kind of crafting to be relaxing because I can let my creativity flow without having to worry about mass production or deadlines. I can just sit back and enjoy the creative process!

One additional benefit that I didn't count on — tons of new blog friends! I have found SO MANY talented and supportive blog/Flickr/Twitter friends through the classes. It is great to connect with other crafters and so many of them inspire me. It's really been a rewarding experience.

owl cosmetic bag

woodland yarn flower arrangement

studio inspiration board

Q. what inspires you the most?
Flickr, blogs, color, craft supplies (especially fabric and yarn), thrifting, vintage, antique shows, fashion trends...

Q. I want to ask you why do you love owls do much?
I'm not sure when my whole owl obsession started. I especially love vintage owls. I think I started with one and it sort of spiraled from there.

birthday cake

Owlie

Sticky Note Cover

sunglass_case_tut

Q. This question might be too basic but I don't know, so why is your name "peptogirl industries"?

Not basic at all! I don't tell this story very often.

I was in college, working as a student assistant for the state. Around this time, the color pink was making a comeback. I always loved pink but I think at some point it became "uncool." Too girly, maybe? So when pink clothing and accessories were big again I took advantage BIG TIME - pink shoes, pink backpack...You name it, I had it in pink. The other student assistants at my job noticed my obsession and called me Peptogirl one day. I loved the name immediately. I thought it sounded like a super-hero. I actually created a whole set of cartoon characters based on Peptogirl and use it for one of my projects in college. Later (after I had graduated), I decided to start up my craft business. Peptogirl has always been my alter ego so I knew I had to name my business after her!

Q. Where do you get your inspiration from? Who inspires you?
I answered the first half of this above. As far as who inspires me, I'll list a few of the many!

Elsie
Jennifer Perkins
RVA girls
Danielle Thompson
Rachel
Silje
Helen Dardik
Leigh-Ann

Q. What was the first craft that you dabbled in and how old were you?
It's hard to say. I've always loved art. it was my favorite subject in school — always! I would say jewelry was one of my first crafts. Maybe friendship bracelets?

Q. How did you get into crafting?
Again, it's really hard to say because I've always crafted, though I didn't really think of myself as being crafty until after college. I happened upon sites like Craftster.org and GetCrafty.com shortly after taking a jewelry making class at my local community college. I noticed I was different from the other students in the class because I wanted to make things that were more stylish...things that I would wear. After finding other crafters online with the same goal I was really inspired to take my crafting to the next level. And that's where Peptogirl Industries began!

Q. What inspires you to get moving in the morning?
I am NOT a morning person. Seriously, I don't talk to anyone for at least half an hour after I wake up! But once I get going, I actually prefer to work in the morning. I like to listen to something that puts me in a good mood first thing, like a radio talk show or music I enjoy. And coffee alway helps!

Love you a latte

Thanks for listening. Hopefully it won't take me as long to get to part2!

8 comments:

hana said...

It's so interesting to read your answers! I actually find it really cool that I'm taking style school with such established crafters/bloggers such as yourself who already seem to have it all together. :D

geek details said...

I've really loved style school too and for much the same reason. Forcing myself to do projects I wouldn't normally do (like carving stamps) has pushed me outside of my comfort zone.

Loved reading your Q&A!

Geek+Nerd said...

Fun Q+A! I like it :)

Alli (One Pearl Button) said...

Love this Q&A! I totally ditto your Style School comments - it has been great to meet so many amazing and creative new friends (like you!).

*CPA* Su said...

I'm the same way in the morning...don't have any desire to talk to anyone for a while after I get up! Which is funny because I'm otherwise quite talkative! :)

Consider my dear said...

Your workspace is great!

i-zilla said...

ugh i can't ever seem to stop drooling over your craft space lol

Chelsea said...

I love this q&a! I'm really glad I stumbled across your blog from style school!

Post a Comment

Let's get this party started!