24.11.09

handmade holiday: DIY snowglobes

holiday banner

Here is a fun and simple project from recycled materials. I posted a couple of my in-progress photos on Flickr and you can't imagine my excitement when I saw that Rachel included my photo in today's post on the RVA blog. Which, of course, meant I needed to get my butt in gear and finish the tutorial. So here it is!

Supplies:

* glass jars -- baby food jars are perfect but mayo and pickle jars work well too
* spray paint
* plastic toys -- look for cake/ cupcake toppers, plastic holiday figurines, etc.
* glitter
* optional: glycerin -- Find this in the baking isle or sometimes with the soap making supplies. I've also read that pharmacies might carry it. I guess its an all around useful product!
* silicone glue, waterproof glue, E6000

1. Begin by removing all of the jar labels and wash the insides of your jars. Tip: Peanut butter or any oil will help remove stubborn labels and glue.

2. Spray paint the jar lids in your desired color -- I used silver. You'll want to do this outdoors or in a well ventilated area (garage?) and you'll want to lay down newspaper underneath to avoid a mess. Don't hold the spray can too close or spray too much. Remember, light layers of paint are best! Let the paint dry in between layers.

3. After the paint is thoroughly dry, start playing around with your plastic figurines to see which ones you want to use and make sure your setup will fit inside the jar. The large reindeer in the photo below didn't make it because after I glued him to the inside of the jar lid, I realized that the top of the jar would not quite fit over him. Opps.

DIY snowglobes

4. When you are ready, glue the plastic figurines to the insides of the jar lids. E6000 doesn't specify that it is a silicone glue so I'm not completely sure...but it is supposed to be waterproof and it seemed to work quite well. Apply the glue generously because once the snowglobe is finished, you can't re-attach a figurine that has come loose.

5. Let the glue dry for at least 24 hours.

6. Add some glitter to each of the jars. I think mine are a bit heavy on the glitter. If you believe there's such a thing as too much glitter.

Add a drop of glycerin to each jar as well (if you have it). The glycerin is optional but it helps the glitter float and makes it fall more slowly.

DIY snowglobes

7. Fill each jar with distilled water (less impurities, I think). You can buy distilled water at the grocery store with the bottled waters (think gallon sized jug). I used regular water in mine...shhhh...don't tell on me...

You'll need to sort of gage how much water to put in considering the water will rise once you submerge your figurine (by screwing on the lid).

8. After filling the jars with water, dry the outside of the jars, especially the rims. Apply a light layer of waterproof glue around the rim of the jar before screwing on the lid.

9. Screw on the lids. Wipe up excess glue with a paper towel. Let the jars dry right-side-up (lids facing up) for 24 hours to ensure a tight seal.

10. After 24 hours, flip the snowglobes over so the lids are on the bottom and the figurines are right-side-up. Glue small figurines to the top of the jars if desired.

DIY snowglobes

Final step: Display on a mantel or shelf and enjoy the magic!

P.S.) The fabric trees were inspired by this photo and the tutorial can be found here.

3 comments:

RachelDenbow said...

This is so fun! Thanks for all the specifics on what to do/not do.

I love the colors you used for your trees, too.

i-zilla said...

ooh i wanna try this! lol this will give me an excuse the buy pretty shiny glitter from the martha stewart collection!

Lemondrop Marie said...

That's the BEST post ever! I love these! I will probably make a huge mess, but I love them anyway,
Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge

Post a Comment

Let's get this party started!