23.11.09

handmade holiday: DIY mirrored ornaments

holiday banner

It seems like all around me, people are in the holiday spirit. But this year, it seems different...most people are cutting back on expenses, our lives are becoming a bit simpler, people are buying a bit less and spending a bit more time with their families. I'm doing the same. I always enjoy making special gifts for my friends and family and have been baking handmade treats for years -- but this year these things have become more important than ever. In the coming weeks, I will be blogging some simple tutorials and recipes to help you keep your holiday "handmade and homebaked" too.

First up, DIY mirrored ornaments. They are super simple and oh-so-pretty!

DIY mirrored ornaments

Supplies:

* a strong glue like E6000 or super glue
* silver thread
* 1/2" round craft mirrors (like these)
* 1" round craft mirrors

DIY mirrored ornaments

Cut a piece of silver thread, approximately 12-16" long depending on preference (you can trim if necessary). Fold the thread in half so that there is a loop on top if you pinch the thread in the middle.

Figure out how you'd like to arrange the mirrors on the string. I used 8 mirrors per ornament and alternated sizes. You will be gluing two mirrors together back to back (with the thread in between). Leave enough of a loop on top so that you can hang the ornament on your tree.

Make one for everyone in your family and attach to gifts.

DIY mirrored ornaments

Don't forget to keep a few for yourself! The mirrors reflect Christmas lights beautifully so place them strategically around your tree.

DIY mirrored ornaments

Stay tuned for more easy ways to enjoy a "handmade & homebaked" holiday. Until then!

7 comments:

Luchie said...

you're so creative, cute ornaments! I wanna make this for my Christmas tree...thanks for sharing :)

Geek+Nerd said...

Oooh, those are so simple and pretty, and I know that I have some of those mirrors in my craft stash from an old project. NICE! Thanks for the tute. :)

Carol Anne said...

I liked this tutorial! Very simple and very pretty!

Melissa Haworth said...

these look great--is there any place locally to get the mirrors?

Peptogirl said...

Yep, I am pretty sure they are sold at all 3 of the local craft stores. Usually near the rhinestones or mosaics or where the larger mirrors are sold ;)

Terica said...

I love to tr this and add Pressed Flowers to them! thanks for the idea!
I think I may make a long one to stretch across a wall!

Peptogirl said...

Terica - What a great idea! I tried to comment on your blog but it wouldn't let me for some reason :( Thanks so much for the blog love!

Post a Comment

Let's get this party started!