27.10.09

Crafty Book Review: Appliqué Your Way

Applique Your Way Applique Your Way by Kayte Terry


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
I really enjoyed Kayte Terry's last book: Complete Embellishing: Techniques and Projects and I can tell you that her newest book does not disappoint! I think it's even better than her first.

First of all, the photos and drawings are lovely (as is the cover) and I love the hand-written font used for section titles.

The book begins with a brief intro and history of appliqué, then some quick info on tools, techniques, and inspiration. Next you'll find some how-to instructions that include some terrific tips that go beyond common sense (and common sewing knowledge). The book also includes drawings showing some basic embroidery stitches, how to embroider with beads and sequins, and how to make fabric yo-yos (no special tool required!).

The Falling Leaves Ballet Flats project is the first and is one of my favs. It's super-simple and easy but these are some seriously adorable shoes! This project is a must for dressing up a plain pair of flats. The Pretty as a Peacock Clutch is another favorite. I could see adapting this project to your favorite design motif or animal (I'm thinking owls). It's retro-inspired and sooo cute. I've just learned to crochet so the Crochet Appliqué Tee is another project I see in my future. The instructions seem do-able for a beginner that's had some practice.

The book goes on to show appliqué ideas for shirts, pants, skirts, sweaters, and more. Not all projects are traditional appliqué — many are 3D (think 3-dimensional roses and bows).



The book also features home projects such as doily coasters and appliqué pillows. There are also instructions for appliquéd table linens and those fabric birthday banners that are so popular now. The layered frames wall appliqués are also really trendy, yet offer a unique way to achieve this look.

Next, we've got appliqué cards, an adorable watermelon pin-cushion, and my favorite, the How Does Your Garden Grow? Apron. The flowers are made from fabric yo-yos. LOVE! The Felted Faux Bois Scarf is also amazing and so "in" right now. I can see making these projects as holiday gifts. The dog sweater, apple tote, and mixed tape phone cozy are also terrific gift ideas.

The instructions are easy to follow, the diagrams are both cute and easy to read, and the book comes with an envelope of patterns (embroidery and sewing), which is awesome because you don't have to try free-handing them or enlarging drawings from the book. I really loved everything about this book and can't wait to start embellsihing everything!

P.S.) Loving Kayte Terry's blog as well: www.thisisloveforever.com.

View all my reviews >>

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Let's get this party started!