21.1.09

making & creating

I think creating things to sell hinders one's creativity a bit. Sometimes I feel pressured to make things that I don't enjoy making or just too many of the things I do. It's a constant struggle trying to find a balance between what you actually enjoy making and what people like to buy. Often my biggest sellers at craft fairs are the items that involve the least creativity.

Lately, I have been experimenting with different colors and textures. I've been making things for me rather than things I plan to sell. It's kind of trial and error. I'm finding out what I enjoy making, what I could stand making in bulk, and what I can't! I even got some of those plastic beads that you melt with an iron — you might remember doing these when you were a kid? I am intrigued by the colors and textures. Creating a recognizable shape is harder than I thought it would be. But I like the free-ness of it, the way that there is no right or wrong.

mixed tape earrings

heart earrings

cupcake


I'd love to learn 3 new crafts this year. First, I want to learn to crochet. Nothing too complicated, just circles and flowers and maybe some gaudy-colored granny squares. Next, I want to learn to sew which mostly means I need to practice. A class would be good! Finally, I'd like to learn to screen print. I've had a kit sitting in my closet forever and I've been too scared to try it.


100_7034

100_7063

100_7073

100_7096


A last bit of news — I've signed up for an online class over at Red Velvet Art. I just adore Elsie and the other Red Velvet girls and I thought it would be fun to try some more new projects without the pressure to sell. I am considering it an early birthday present to myself!

RVA Online Class


All this talk about creating things that aren't to sell, and I've re-opened my Etsy shop today. I was trying to test Etsy mini for a client so of course I had to re-list some items in my own shop to try it out (I couldn't remember if you got to choose the items that appear in Etsy mini, which you don't). Anyhow, enough rambling, I'm sure I've lost you by now anyway. Happy Wednesday!

6 comments:

Little Brown Box said...

Hey~

I want to learn to crochet too! It's on my list too...and Oh I so wanted to sign up for Elsie's class but chickened out, scared that everyone would be more advanced than me. Please do tell me how the class goes so I can hopefully take her next class!

jenn said...

The heart earrings are super cute! I love the iron-together beads. They are super fun. I made a psychedelic-colored mushroom with those things once. :)

I would totally teach you how to crochet, btw!

Bree said...

I LOVE the red and aqua necklace! So cute! I want to learn to crochet myself. I've tried 10 different times! It's hard!

goody-goody said...

We can be crocheting bumble-heads toghether! Those feather earrings are adroable..I want them..no wait, I want the charm necklace. No wait, I'll just buy whatever you've got on next time I see you!

Stacey Ball said...

I would buy those orange feather earrings for sure. I'm ready to arm wrestle Lauren for them!

Peptogirl said...

Relax, girls! I just ordered a bunch more plastic feathers!

Post a Comment

Let's get this party started!