26.8.08

The Working Girl's Guide to Handmade Jewelry

The Naughty Secretary Club: The Working Girl's Guide to Handmade Jewelry The Naughty Secretary Club: The Working Girl's Guide to Handmade Jewelry by Jennifer Perkins

My review


rating: 5 of 5 stars

I love Jennifer Perkin's style so I knew right away that I would LOVE this book. And boy was I right.

Jennifer says it best in the book intro "If you prefer your jewelry subtle and serious, you might want to go ahead and set this book back on the shelf." This book is not for the faint-hearted!

All of the office and secretary references and facts make the book a fun read. The photos are fun and kitschy and will make your mouth water for colorful plastic trinkets a.k.a. what my mother would call "junk!"

The best thing about this book is that Jennifer shows us how to go beyond beads. There are tons of jewelry-making/ beading books out there right now, but how many of them tell you how to make jewelry from old motel keys, cupcake toppers, and telephone cords? Not only that, but she does it WITH STYLE.

As far as techniques, the book begins with some simple wire-wrapping and jump ring how-tos but then quickly jumps into resin and how to use a hand-held drill. Now that's what I'm talking about. I already own the supplies for both but have been afraid to try them out - until now!

There are some amazingly simple projects for the beginning beader. And while the supplies may seem a bit unusual, you'll have many of these things laying around your house (or office)! Kind of makes me wish I was a Naughty Secretary, hording supplies to make jewelry under my desk.

Most, if not all, of the projects are instant-gratification. Resin casting is probably the most complicated technique used but even that doesn't seem too time intensive.

My favorite projects? The tie one on headband is pretty cute, made from a man's vintage necktie. You've got to love the Secretary's Delight (cast resin) bracelet - it's chunky and fun. I'm particularly interested in the Copy Machine necklace - it uses something called UTEE, which I hadn't heard of before. There's even a recipe in here for margarita cake. YUM.

This book is fun and funny and just oozes Naughty Secretary Club style, as well it should considering the title! I'm going to hit up my local thrift stores and flee market for supplies and then I'm going to get busy making!

View all my reviews.

1 comments:

candeelady said...

Thanks for the book recomendation- I need some fresh ideas for tween girls and this sounds great. The hair clips are perfect for that age as well

Post a Comment

Let's get this party started!