31.3.08

Peptogirl - 1, Poterybarn - 0

Remember this?

Pottery Barn


I've wanted it SO bad ever since I laid eyes on it but at $179 there's no way I could justify it...

Well, look what I made for just about $30! I FINALLY found a similar structure online at Harbor Freight - it's called a nail bin (duh)! It just so happens that I live pretty close to a Harbor Freight so I decided to forgo the shipping fees and make a trip to the store myself. Then I added a black metal knob to the top ($1.49 on Clearance at Target) and some "book plates" (2 sets at $2.99 each on sale at JoAnns). The book plates can be found in the scrapbooking section of your local craft store with the other embellishments.

After assembling the structure (the hardest part) I used E6000 (my favorite glue) to attached the book plates. I cut white labels to slip in. Then I glued on the black metal knob and there you have it (please excuse the ugly vertical blinds in the background).

Craft Supply Carousel

Craft Supply Carousel

Craft Supply Carousel


Not quite as cute at the PB version but close!

12 comments:

roxycraft said...

I told you one, but I'll say it again...this rocks! I think I MAY have to make a trip to Harbor Frieght now.

Mary (craft addict) said...

Seriously, SERIOUSLY cool! Great job!

speckledhen said...

Yay! That's so cool. Way to stick it to Pottery barn :) Are we all going to carpool to Harbor Freight now, or what??

Krissi's Stitchery said...

Holy COW Amy! This rocks! So now I imagine that Snottery Barn paid even less than $30 each for these which makes their mark-up beyond insane.

Harbor Freight, huh?

Peptogirl said...

So true! They probably carry these at other hardware stores also. I find myself intimidated by hardware stores so if I must go, I stick to the small ones! I remember going to the large warehouse hardware stores with my dad and I'd always end up driving him crazy (you know how kids get into trouble when they're bored). He always used to make me go wait for him by the front door until he was done. Now days that could be considered child neglect!

CrimsonBruin said...

You go, PeptoGirl! I can't even say how awesome it turned out. They'd better look out! I wanted those bins, too. What else can we make that's in Pottery Barn's catalog!

jeanetta said...

bravo!!! way to stick it to the designer dynasties!
and i think yours is just as cute.

Pink Petunia Designs said...

OMG. This is the coolest reconstruction ever. It looks just like it! I am so going to Harbor Freight tomorrow. I can't believe that places charge so much for things! Rebellion of the consumer! Cool!

Glitter said...

Dude, Amy! That is wicked! I want me one of those!!

Sacred Snatch said...

Dang Amy, You are sooo hardcore.
You are making me horny! lmao. I keed, I keed, but for real, that is bad ass!

Stacey said...

Are you kidding me? This is fantastic and the PB version isn't cuter at all!! Nice job, I'm super impressed.

Neesy said...

I love it amy!!

Post a Comment

Let's get this party started!