14.2.08

I {heart} books and glossies

It's been awhile since I've done a book or magazine review so I have a couple of those, plus a small list of books on my Amazon waiting list (I got an Amazon gift certificate for my birthday, can you tell?).

CraftFirst off, the new issue of CRAFT is out. Need I say more? This is the "toys" issue which I thought would be boring for me (since I am sans kids) but I actually found some pretty cool stuff in there while thumbing through (I haven't had time to read it cover to cover yet). I was impressed with the instructions for Japanese "otedama" juggling toys (they're pretty cute) and there's a pattern for a reversible wrap skirt that's just screaming my name. Some of the projects are a bit too techy for me (solar jewelry and LED hoola hoop) but they are still cool all the same and maybe some of you "smart" girls and boys out there can figure them out. Leave the simple crafts to me!

CraftMark Montano (of TLC’s 10 Years Younger and While You Were Out) just came out with a new book - The Big Ass Book of Crafts and boy is the title fitting because it really is a BIG ass book of crafts! I should have know what to expect since Mark is also the author of another fun book in my library, Dollar Store Decor: 100 Projects for Lush Living That Won't Break the Bank. As far as home decor goes, both books are a little too funky for my personal tastes, but they are still a load of fun and there are lots of fun projects that kids would enjoy. And while not all of the projects would go well in my personal decorating scheme, there are still some great gift ideas that I'm sure you would enjoy. The projects are certainly kitchy and if you like making things out of Popsicle sticks and recycled materials than this is definitely the book for you. I also think you could easily adapt some of the projects to fit your own tastes. I really love the punk plates, decoupaged matchboxes, ultra-suede ipod case, and suede olive pillow to name a few (see the myspace for project photos). And since the book is huge, and there's a wide variety of projects, it's safe to assume you'll make use of this book even if you aren't into funky home decor. But don't take my word for it...check it out for yourself!

Aside from that, I have a few books on order:

$500 Room Makeovers
I'm hoping I'm not disapointed by this book (as I often am with home decorating books) but the cover looks really cool so it might be a winner. If nothing else, the colors look fun and inviting. I'll let you know how I like it...

Lotta Prints: How to Print with Anything, from Potatoes to Linoleum
This one hasn't been realed yet, but the title says it all. I want to learn how to print with anything! Me! Me!

And finally...

Tiny Yarn Animals: Amigurumi Friends to Make and Enjoy
Okay, I'm a little bit biased on this one because I know the author but even so, who can resist a whole book full of "patterns that don't suck"? Really...tell me who. I don't even know how to crochet (yet) but since the book doesn't come out until August, I have some time to learn.

Stay tuned for reviews!

2 comments:

Missy said...

I Heart your book reviews! You always get it so right!! :)

Crafty Chica said...

i just bought mark's book. it really does kick major nalgas. there are so many cool projects to choose from!

Post a Comment

Let's get this party started!