19.12.06

I found the true meaning of Christmas

Last Sunday morning, I found the true meaning of Christmas.

Christmas means different things to different people - it's a religious celebration, a time for giving, a time for getting, an overly commercialized holiday... But the true meaning of Christmas to me is tradition and family. With all the hustle and bustle, the sales, the stress, the traffic, it's easy to lose sight of what Christmas is all about. To me, Christmas is about trying to find that special gift for a certain friend or family member. It's about baking up yummy treats and sharing them with your co-workers and neighbors. And most importantly, it's about holding on to a piece of history. I feel it is my duty to keep years of past Christmas' alive by keeping traditions going: by mailing out handmade Christmas cards, by wrapping up tins of cookies and candy, of at least 7 varieties, which I spent hours in the kitchen baking, by the hours of time I spend sewing, gluing, stringing, cutting, and decorating to create the perfect gift for each and every person on my list. But all of this is quite a lot of work for just one person and I often find myself wondering, "Why am I doing this, again?" This past Sunday, I was reminded.

I am determined to stick with my grandmother's fudge recipe this year. I usually mess it up some how (it's one of those more difficult fudge recipes). I usually end up having to throw out the whole batch and whip up a quick batch of the no-one-can-mess-this-up kind of fudge. But grandmother's recipe was special; it's the one she made every year, so I want to do the same. I began looking through her old Betty Crocker cook book for information on temperatures and the different stages of fudge. As I was reading, I noticed that there was a small scrap of paper stuck to one of the pages. It was a small and faded later to my grandmother, from my grandfather. The letter was dated October 28, 1987. Wow.

This letter reminds me of who I am, of where I come from, of why preserving tradition is so important to me. I have pieces of all four of my grandparents inside of me, molding me into the person I am today. If baking ‘til dawn and sewing my heart out helps to keep a little piece of them alive, then it’s all worth it in the end.

Happy Holidays to you and your family!

Love,
Peptogirl of Peptogirl Industries

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Let's get this party started!