2.11.06

Mollasses Sugar Cookies (without the mollasses)

What the heck is mollasses, anyway? Can I substitute regular pancake syrup? I decided that probably wasn't the best idea so I made my version without the molasses. I also needed a sugar cookie recipe that would make a good (not too sweet) cookie — perfect for decorating. See my modifications to this recipe in bold.

Mollasses Sugar Cookies from the kitchen of Grandmother Cluck

3/4 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup molasses *I choose to omit the molasses
1 egg
2 tsp. baking soda
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. ginger
*Instead of ginger and cloves, I used pre-mixed pumpkin-pie spice. It gave the cookies a nice Fall flavor.
1 tsp. cinnamin
1/2 tsp. salt

Melt shortening. Cool. Add sugar, molasses (I choose to omit the molasses), and egg. Beat well and add sifted dry ingredients. Mix well. Chill. Form into balls. Roll in sugar OR roll out the dough with a rolling pin and cut into shapes with cookie cutters. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes at 375 degrees. Decorate with frosting and sprinkles as desired.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Let's get this party started!