14.4.06

Yummy Mexican Cornbread

I made mexican cornbread for dinner last night. The recipe came from my grandmother Cluck's kitchen. I don't think the recipe is as much "Mexican" as it is southern. My dad actually has the hand-written recipe where my grandmother wrote little notes like "you may want to leave off the peppers as the kids may not like them" and 1/2 lb. grated cheese, "but Cathy (my aunt) likes a little more". Funny, but when I was shopping for ingredients I couldn't figure out what she meant by "sweet milk." I ended up buying "sweetened condensed milk." lol. Good thing I decided to google the recipe BEFORE adding the milk. It turns out sweet milk is actually buttermilk. Regular milk will work just fine too. Anyway, I made the cornbread and recieved rave reviews from Darryl and my co-workers (who only got a tiny taste due to the fact that Darryl ate so much). I feel bad, we just had leftovers for dinner and there isn't any left to bring my dad! I guess I'll just have to make another batch... Okay, okay, I know what you're thinking - Enough talk, give us the recipe already! So, here it is!

Mexican Cornbread

Mix the following ingredients in a bowl and set aside.

* 1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
* 2 eggs, well-beaten
* 1 cup sweet milk (buttermilk, but I used plain old regular milk)
* 3/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 large can creamed corn
* 1/2 cup bacon drippings (or 1/2 cup vegtable oil is a healthier and more convenient option)

Prepare Seperately

* Saute 1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
* Chop 1 large onion

I cut my onion into peices and threw it into a small food processer. I thought the onion would be better if it was "cooked down a bit" (I'm not a big fan of strong onion flavor) so I threw it in a skillet with a pat of butter. Stirring frequently, I cooked the onion peices until soft.

Prepare Seperately

* 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
* 4 jalapeno peppers, chopped

I made my version a little less spicey. I used 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chile peppers (mild), drained. I also got a can of chopped jalapenos, but used them sparingly.

Grease
an 8- or 9-inch skillet or 13x9 inch baking pan.

Pour 1/2 of the cornmeal batter on the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle on all of the hamburger meat, evenly, of course. Sprinkle on the cheese, onion, and peppers. Pour the rest of the batter evenly on top then sprinkle on just a bit more cheese.

Bake
in the oven at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes, or until golden brown.

Garnish
with salsa and sour cream.

Enjoy!

Mexican Cornbread

2 comments:

Krissi said...

Amy, this looks A W E S O M E !!!! Another "excuse" for me to finally break down and replace the cast iron skillet I lost in a move a decade ago (or more).

Thanks for sharing!

xoxo

Peptogirl said...

You can't go wrong with cornbread =)

Post a Comment

Let's get this party started!